There are no words I can use to explain how much this song means to me. Every word touches me in a way nothing ever has before. It combines all the beauty and tragedy of living and tells me it's worth it.
"I hope I'm not my only friend."
This line breaks my heart. No matter how many words of affirmation I'm given, I never feel good enough. I always feel alone. In a way, it's my fault. I let anxieties and fears hold me back from new opportunities to not be alone because of what's happened in the past. Yet, in another way, I can't entirely control it. It's not a choice to start shaking, hyperventilating, or have heart palpitations whenever I talk to someone. It's not a choice that when a relationship doesn't work I feel entirely like a failure and empty.
I've learned to love myself, but I still don't really like myself. I take care of myself, physically, mentally, and spiritually, but it's only out of a sense of responsibility, not because I think I deserve it. I want friends to help, but they don't have that responsibility, so they'd have to like me, which seems impossible.
2016: The Year of My Truce
I can't stand being alone, especially now that I've come to terms with the fact that it's because of me. The only "New Year's Resolution" is to be more open to new friendships. Instead of feeling sorry for myself when I'm alone, I'll make an effort to not be alone. Otherwise, I'm just hurting everyone. If my mental health is ever in jeopardy, I'll pull back.
The truce is very simple- I'll pursue joy and relationships, but I won't let complacency or fear of rejection hold me back. I think it's the best way to combat depression. Preventing loneliness by surrounding myself with good, supportive people and shaking myself out of this stupor of pretending to be okay when I'm anything but which I've been in for three years. It's time for change. It's time for happiness. It will be hard to achieve, but that's why it's a truce.
No comments:
Post a Comment